FAQs Addressing Tax Balances Due and Payment Options

As part of its People First Initiative, the IRS has posted frequently asked questions to its website on tax balances due and payment options.

Will the IRS forgive taxpayers’ tax debts?

tax faqsNo. The IRS will not forgive taxpayers’ tax debts and balances will continue to accrue penalties and interest during the relief period (April 1, 2020 to July 15, 2020). However, the People First Initiative does include relief on a variety of issues ranging from easing payment guidelines to postponing compliance actions.

If I owe tax, or have a payment agreement with the IRS, or I owe other federal or state debts, will my EIP be reduced as an offset?

Generally, EIPs will not be offset for federal or state debts. However, EIPs may be offset by past-due child support. The BFS will send you a notice if a child-support offset occurs.

If you are married filing jointly and you filed an injured spouse claim (Form 8379) with your 2019 tax return (or your 2018 tax return if you haven’t yet filed for 2019), half the total EIP will be sent to each spouse and only the liable spouse’s EIP will be offset for past-due child support. There is no need to file another injured spouse claim for the EIP.

The FAQs note that the IRS is aware that, in some cases, injured spouses’ EIPs have been offset by the non-injured spouse’s past-due child support. The IRS is working with the BFS and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Support Enforcement, to resolve this issue as soon as possible. If you filed an injured spouse claim with your 2019 return (or 2018 return if you haven’t yet filed for 2019) and are impacted by this issue, you don’t need to take any action. You (the injured spouse) will receive your unpaid half of the total EIP when the issue is resolved.

Where can I find current information online about what I owe?

Most individual taxpayers can view their tax account information, including information about current balances, payment history, and information about their current tax year return, using the IRS’s secure online portal. Taxpayers can also use the IRS’s secure online portal to select electronic payment options and request their tax transcripts.

What options do I have to make one-time or recurring payments without contacting the IRS?

Taxpayers have options through IRS.gov/payments to make one time or recurring payments without having to contact the IRS.

View all the FAQs on the People First Initiative here.

Join Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive exclusive newsletters with the latest information affecting you and your organization.

Posted in